Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reflection 09: Hey, That's Me!—Seeing Yourself in Popular Culture


To a young Whoopi Goldberg, the sight of an independent black woman on the bridge of the USS Enterprise was life-altering. Star Trek offered the future-superstar not only an opportunity to see her likeness on television, but a glimpse at a hopeful and prosperous future for her wary people. Meanwhile, Korean-Canadian and Grey's Anatomy cast member Sandra Oh laments that she never had the same opportunity as Goldberg: "I grew up never seeing myself on-screen, and it's really important to me to give people who look like me a chance to see themselves. I want to see myself as the hero of any story. I want to see myself save the world from the bomb." What is the significance of seeing people like yourself represented in pop culture? Have you ever seen you and your life reflected in film or television? If so, were you represented accurately? If you've never seen yourself represented, why do you believe that is? What would it take for entertainment to accurately represent who you are?

Include at least two of the following in your discussion:

Requirements:
  • Must be in MLA Style
  • Must be only one full page in length
  • Must include a works cited page

Due: We 04.24

No comments:

Post a Comment